Here’s a view of what’s new on Florida’s Adventure Coast.
- Opening soon: Tampa Bay Extreme Adventure Course. Brooksville’s zip-line and treetop attraction, formerly TreeUmph!, will resume operations as a premier aerial adventure destination. Watch our website and facebook page for news on this developing story.
- Extensive renovations will conclude and Weeki Wachee Springs State Park will re-open in March. Mermaid performances and river boat rides, suspended during construction, will resume. While retaining its vintage charm, some changes will freshen the park’s appearance. Many of the renovations, such as those to the bridge and sidewalks, are safety-related. Other enhancements will be evident in Mermaid Theater seating and a new underwater stage.
- Planned to open this Spring, the WellCome OM Integral Healing & Education Center on Lake in the Woods Drive aims to Awaken, Educate, Nurture and Heal. Planned wellness sessions include meditation, exercise, acupuncture, massage and more. The campus is designed around a flowered meditation path and an organic garden with greenhouse and built to LEED standards (Leaders in Energy & Environmental Design).
- Have you tried the Escape Artist on Mariner Boulevard in Spring Hill yet? This interactive gaming experience invites you to test yourself as part of a team. Locked in a room full of hints, clues and puzzles, you work against the clock to escape. Try different scenarios. It’s great for team building and group outings.
- For a different type of interactive experience, try the new Traveling Art Parties on Commercial Boulevard in Weeki Wachee. All supplies and instruction are provided for a variety of painting sessions. Attend a scheduled class or arrange a private party. Unleash your creative side.
More for Outdoors
- The Good Neighbor Trail was recently completed. Bicyclists can ride its full 10-mile length, starting from the Russell Street Train Depot in Brooksville and connecting to the Withlacoochee State Trail. Now, connected to the 46-mile long Withlacoochee State Trail, cyclists can ride from Brooksville for many miles paved and vehicle-free.
- Explore sites along the new Rockridge Phosphate Trail. Browse a new website introducing the important role phosphate mining played here early in the century. The trail is mapped out and includes a listing of several Phosphate Ridge-related annual events.
- Enjoy enhanced access to the Bayport – Linda Pedersen Coastal Paddling Trail thanks to a new kayak launch at Linda Pedersen Park. This integrated system is user-friendly and dry, even as water levels change. Comprised of a fixed dock at parking lot level and a floating dock on the water, it’s connected by an aluminum ramp, helping to reduce bank erosion.
- For those who frequent Withlacoochee State Forest’s popular Tucker Hill Day Use Area on Croom Road, an upcoming covered pavilion will be a welcome addition. A gateway for horseback riding, hikes, bike rides and more, Tucker Hill will soon be an inviting venue for outdoor gatherings and events too.
New Way to Stay
- Expected to open February 2020, construction of a new Fairfield Inn & Suites is underway on Cortez Boulevard and Twin Dolphin Drive. This new 72-room member of the Marriott family features numerous suites and will be an affordable, centrally-located lodging alternative for Adventure Coast visitors.
Bike Tour and New Tunes
- Brooksville’s Tom Varn Park will be base for Bike Florida’s Spring Tour. March 29 through April 3 is Bike Florida’s 25th Anniversary Tour. Each of the six days features a variety of organized rides throughout the area. The six-day event is split between Brooksville and Inverness, capitalizing on access to both the Withlacoochee State Trail and Suncoast Trail. Days one through three have cyclists camping at Tom Varn Park and visiting restaurants, shops and attractions between rides.
- Thanks to the success of October’s Camping with the Blues, a brand new 3-day music festival premieres in March. Blues Bash at the Ranch is Friday, Saturday and Sunday March 15-17. Brooksville’s picturesque Sertoma Youth Ranch will host family – and dog-friendly – camping. Single day passes are also available. As with most weekends between October and April, festivals and live performances invite dancing, toe-tapping and friend-making as music carries across the Sertoma Youth Ranch valley.
- Join the happy crowd at Brooksville’s Friday Night Live outdoor concerts the second Friday of every month. Find music, food trucks, full bar and a night market. And on fourth monthly Saturdays, browse Un-Common-ly Artsy for exhibitors, hands-on art, food, live music and UpTown Gallery access.
Know to Go
- Download our new app today and make yourself a custom itinerary. To plan your outing, just filter for your personal interests, then select the places and events you like. They will be automatically mapped out and saved. You can adjust your route or the contents of your itinerary very simply. Save it. Share it. Make more.
- And remember: FloridasAdventureCoast.com is your one-stop-shop online for event and activity planning. Updated daily and fed directly from social media, loads of happenings of all types display for your planning pleasure.
- Are you subscribed to our email newsletter? Be in the know about things to do, articles, fishing reports and upcoming events. One of the new features for 2019 is called “5 To Try.” Each edition presents a category listing of five Adventure Coast eateries. With so many restaurants, bakeries, delis, steak houses, sports grills and more to choose from, we’re happy to present a tasty buffet.